Friday, February 11, 2011

Great Anticipation

Yesterday we had almost a foot of snow here in Heber Springs. According to the media, it was almost a year ago today that our fair state had another large snow. I guess February in Arkansas is the snow month.

As a child living in Kansas, I used to love the night before a big snow. The smell of snow in the air, forecast frosty, white flakes of whimsical enchantment. Knowing that school would be let out the next day just added to the excitement. That feeling of childhood wonderment was relived this week as the grandchildren gathered around the TV...listening to the weather man tell which counties would be getting enough snow to guarantee the dismissal of classes the next day.

Recently, I felt that same feeling of anticipation. I was reading a book about near death experiences. Story after story was told about those who had been ushered through what they thought to be the gates of heaven. Each experience was different of course, but in many ways very much the same. Often friends or relatives came to meet the almost dying person and showed them different things that had held real meaning. After a short tour, each person was then told it was not their time and they must return to planet earth.

As I read, I recalled the death of my husband Dan. Before he died, we had often kidded each other about what kind of house we wanted prepared before the other arrived. I had ordered a cabin with large windows that opened out to the ocean. My husband had many good qualities, but construction was not one of them. However, he said he would do what he could to have that arranged if he made it to heaven first.

One persons story held a hint of how this type of thing actually might happen. He was told that our gifting here on earth was simply a training ground for what our purpose would be in heaven. For example: those that built houses here, would be doing something similar in heaven ...only on a more majestic scale. That said, I could vision a heavenly carpenter building my lovely cabin next to the sea.

I am not sure how things will be in heaven. But, like waiting for the coming of the first snow, my anticipation of entering my heavenly home has been piqued. This one thing I do know. Whether my home in heaven is a cabin by the ocean or another dwelling of God's choosing, it will be the perfect one for me. ...and I can't wait to see it!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment